Here's what you need to do stone veneer work on a house.
What's not in the tutoriais is you need a good eye and be good at fitting puzzles together.
Tips From I learned doing this.
1) wear clothes your willing to trash. You will trash your clothes. This is messy work.
2) Get 5 gallon bucket from home depot.
Use 1 for mixing the mortar. Then pour the bucket into the second. Easy way to make sure you didn't miss mixing anything on the bottom.
3) Lay as much of your stone out on the ground as you can.
I organized everything into size.
This will give you a very good idea of what you have to work with.
You'll want to make sure you have good distribution of different size stones in every area.
4) Layout the section your going to be working on out on the ground and pick the stones that will fit nicely into the space
Make SURE to mix sizes and colors! Your final Result depends on having the sizes and coloras as random as possible.
This will also allow you to fit, cut and stick MUCH faster. Remember motar dries pretty fast.
5) Marking chalk, a diamond Blade cutting wheel on a grinder and a stone hammer are essential!!!!
Nothing fits perfect. Pick the stone that's the closest and trim it to make it perfect.
You'll do this on about 70% of the stones you use.
6) Start at the corners and work your way to the center!
This is essential to get a Good final look.
7) Have garden house handy! And a bucket of water with a big spunge.
You'll be continuously wetting down the scratch coat, rinsing stone, cleaning the backs of stones and yourself.
8) Plan on this taking longer than you think!
DO NOT push yourself to get this done. It's very hard work. The guys in the videos are Pros and that means they're in good shape. You're going to be sore and if you try to push yourself the quality is going down the tubes.
9) Enjoy it!
Stone veneer is beautiful. You're going to be bragging about this for years to come. Enjoy the process, when its done you're going to be proud of yourself. :-)